GREATER CONSUMER PROTECTION FOR BC CITIZENS FROM MISLEADING ADVERTISING - MEDIA RELEASE SUNDAY APRIL 23, 2017
The Leader of the BC Citizens First Party, Mr. Phillip Ryan, today announced significant major initiatives to significantly increase consumer protection, market competition and market monitoring for BC citizens.
Contact Party Leader: Phillip Ryan Cell: 604-355-4069, email@example.com. Party Headquarters: 170-422 Richards Street, Vancouver, BC V6B 2Z4
MEDIA RELEASE APRIL 29, 2017
The Leader of the BC Citizens First Party, Mr. Phillip Ryan, today announced a focus on making the Court system more citizen-focused involving more efficient allocation of court times, reduced wait times, increased legal aid services and an expanded role for Justice Access Centres.
1. ELIMINATE EXCESSIVE LEGAL FEES ON CITIZENS FROM COURT INEFFICIENCY: We believe that the Court system is highly inefficient and can potentially cost members of the public a full day’s court time from their lawyers when in fact their lawyer might only spend 10 minutes in front of a judge during a Chambers Hearing. Accordingly we will require a more citizen-focused, cost effective and efficient Court system across BC particularly with respect to Chambers matters.
2. WE WILL WORK WITH BC COURTS TO INTRODUCE 9 AM TO 5 PM COURT HEARING HOURS rather than the current highly restricted Court hours available to BC citizens. This will be achieved through appropriate funding of a more efficient and effective judicial Court system.
3. TRIAL WAIT TIMES REDUCED: We will also require Court proceedings to be at final trial within 18 months of original lodgment (unless either party seeks an extension of time) through appropriate funding of a more efficient and effective judicial Court system.
4. RESTORE LEGAL AID SERVICES: We will restore legal aid to its former levels with case funding increased to the latest published national average of $17.12 per capita through additional funds of $16.5 million per annum. All of these funds will be used to fund actions taken by our most vulnerable citizens to protect their rights, to increase time available for cases, and to expand the profile of accepted cases to include for example, overseas abductions by a parent. An additional $0.5 million will be available to increase call centre personnel and reduce call waiting times resulting in total additional budgeting of $17 million pa.
5. THE SALARY OF THE CHIEF JUSTICE WILL BE PERMANENTLY SET TO BE EQUIVALENT TO THE PREMIER OF BC and the salaries of other court judges will be set to be permanently equivalent to the Minister of Justice in BC.
6. SUPPORT PRIOR TO POTENTIAL MARRIAGE SEPARATION: The Justice Access System will be expanded to mandate their involvement in potential separation of couples rather than to only focus on separated couples as is currently their mandate. This will hopefully help reduce the number of family divorces in British Columbia.
See our Housing Policy, Drug Addiction, Mental Health & Homeless Policy, Annual Holidays & Minimum Wages Policy, Transport Policy, Education Policy, Child Care Policy, Earthquake Protection Policy, Personal & Community Safety Policy, 23 Point Health Policy, Trans Mountain Pipeline, Energy and Site C Dam Policy, Jobs Program, Consumer Protection, Justice Policy, Customer- focused Government Policy, MLA Accountability & Electoral Reform Party Donations Crisis, and North Korea Missile Protection Policy for BC, as important and immediate problems being experienced by BC Citizens. Our 4 Year Balanced Budget is also available.